|Courses Help Seniors Protect Selves, Wallets|
|Tuesday, 29 December 2009 07:53|
Crimes against older adults are a sad reality. Just this month, three men in their 20s were arrested in Oceanside for apparently beating and kicking a 63-year-old woman outside her home after she asked them to quiet down. The horrific apparent kidnapping and beating of 76-year-old Natalie “Sandy” Herbst-Vinge from Mount Helix has been in the news again after she recently testified against her attackers.
The County Health & Human Services Agency (HHSA) is offering “Senior Expo: Protect Yourself & Your Wallet” sessions to help older adults protect themselves from both physical and financial attacks.
“Violence and financial crimes against seniors are heart-wrenching and have no place in our community,” said Chairwoman Dianne Jacob, San Diego County Board of Supervisors. “With these tough economic times, physical and financial attacks may happen more frequently and the County feels it’s important to give our seniors the tools necessary to protect themselves.”
Watch video of previous classes
The Expo sessions feature Mary Davis, a 70-year-old, third-degree black belt in Karate, who will talk about ways to avoid physical attacks and demonstrate techniques to use when an assault occurs. Speakers from the HHSA Adult Protective Services and the District Attorney’s office will address ways to avoid scams, fraud and other financial abuse. Participants will receive helpful materials to take home, and a no-cost lunch.
The Senior Expo is coordinated by HHSA’s Aging & Independence Services in partnership with the San Diego District Attorney’s office and the County Library. Funding is provided by the Barona and Sycuan tribal governments.
Events are held from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Early registration is recommended; space is limited.
* Jan. 11 (Monday) – County Library, Lemon Grove Branch, 8073 Broadway, Lemon Grove
* Feb. 25 (Thursday) – Bayside Community Center, 2202 Comstock St., Linda Vista
* March 24 (Wednesday) -- Valley Center Branch Library, 29200 Cole Grade Rd., Valley Center
Reservations are required; call (800) 510-2020 and press “4” when you hear the menu. Leave your name, phone number and the date or location of the event you wish to attend.
Sex Crime Information
Kid & Teen Safety Issues
- Moore, William (Mr) Arrest Reported: 05/18/13 By: El Cajon CHP
- Scafani, Anthony L (Mr) Arrest Reported: 05/21/13 By: Orange County SD
- Steele, Anna (?/W) Arrest Reported: 05/20/13 By: San Diego SD
- Paz, Carlos D (Mr) Arrest Reported: 05/18/13 By: Chula Vista PD
- Cervantes, Mark (Mr) Arrest Reported: 05/19/13 By: La Mesa PD